2011 Dance Forum
A three-part presentation to investigate the following:
Thank you to everyone who attended this year's Dance Forum!
Curating Dance – Perspectives, Facts and Challenges
New York Hilton, Grand Ballroom
Friday, January 7, 2011
9am – 12:45pm EST
- How do dance presenters and performing arts curators choose their seasons and their artists? What connects dance to other art forms, and what is unique to dance?
- What do audiences want from dance performance, and are we in the field successful at fulfilling those expectations?
- How do presenters and artists communicate with one another, and how is that information translated to public audiences and communities?
In a facilitated panel, we will hear from both curators and presenters about how dance is included in their seasons. From looking at the organizational mission, through calendar planning, budgetary considerations and artist selection, to working with their staff to create a well-rounded season for their audiences.
Next, Alan Brown
, of WolfBrown
, will report on a recent survey of how audiences see their involvement in dance performances and discuss what our field can do to develop a stronger presenter/audience dynamic.
Then we’ll hear from a variety of dance artists who have excelled at articulating their aesthetics to both presenters and audiences. A question/answer session with our participants (utilizing submitted written queries
) will wrap up the curatorial discussion.
During the last half hour of the Forum, Dance/USA will introduce its new Executive Director, Amy Fitterer,
as well as update the field on any pressing issues.
To submit questions related to the topics listed above, email: email@example.com. Cards will also be available on site for question submissions. This session will be moderated.
- The Dance Forum is open to all; you do not have to be registered for the APAP conference to attend any Pre-conference Forum. Please pass this information along to anyone who might be interested in attending, and connecting with others in the field.
- There are many other Special Interest Sessions planned for Friday, of interest to our field. Please check the website for further details: http://www.apapconference-nyc.com/content.asp?id=1834&iwpID=31086a3ef92696a3ef1883
- Feel free to bring beverage/food with you (water service will be available).