|Please send a one-page cover letter, a complete resume, and a writing sample by email to:|
Casey John McEnelly
Director of Finance and Operations
Include Job Title in the Email Subject
No phone calls please
Dance/USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: May 6, 2013
Dance/USA seeks a part-time Communication Specialist
Areas of primary focus for this position
includes strategic membership communications, marketing the Annual Conference and other Dance/USA programs, and leading the effort to maintain and grow the organization’s social media networks and media relations.
Under these primary areas, tasks and responsibilities include:
Membership Recruitment and Retention Campaigns
- Working in collaboration with the Membership Department to plan, implement, and measure campaigns to recruit new members and retain current members.
- Develop and implement evaluations of effectiveness of membership campaigns and adjust accordingly.
Core Services and Special Initiatives
- Coordinate with Programs Department to market the Annual Conference to members, nonmembers, trustees of dance organizations, and funders.
- Communicate and establish relationships with local media in the city where the conference is held and national press and bloggers to disseminate information before, during and immediately following the Annual Conference.
- Work with Programs Department to ensure Annual Conference materials and content is accessible online during and immediately following the event.
- Attend and staff the Annual Conference in June.
- Coordinate with staff in charge of Core Services to streamline & strengthen communications for convenings, research, and advocacy efforts.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff and program managers to develop updates and announcements for all Special Initiatives including re-granting programs and Taskforces.
Dance/USA’s e-newsletter, The Spin
- Maintain and supervise execution of a social media plan using such outlets as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Blogger, WordPress, and others.
- Evaluate effectiveness of social media plan and adjust accordingly.
- Recruit and encourage Dance/USA members to actively participate using social media to follow Dance/USA activities and engage in issues of the field.
Other general tasks and responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of the bi-weekly Spin e-news communication, including collecting and organizing news items, laying out information in PatronMail, and distributing to members.
- Post regular archives of Spin news items on website.
- Grow and maintain a comprehensive media list.
- Work with staff and vendors to create and keep current all organizational marketing and promotional materials including membership brochures, PR brochures, etc.
- Act as “brand manager” to ensure Dance/USA communicates a consistent brand through its graphic identity and messaging.
- Provide support as needed for Dance/USA meetings and conferences.
The successful candidate will possess superior skills in communications and marketing, and a passion and knowledge of professional dance. The candidate will have strong organizational skills with the ability to self-manage and supervise interns. This position requires tact and diplomacy, attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple tasks and set priorities.
Bachelor’s degree is required. Other skills needed include copywriting, editing, and proofreading.
A working knowledge of HTML, electronic email systems such as PatronMail, and various social media networks is fundamental. Candidate must be fluent in MS Office system including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience with Photoshop is a plus.
Some travel will be required.
For information regarding Dance/USA's internship program, please visit internships