Jobs at Dance/USA
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Programs at Dance/USA
Status: Part-time, exempt
The Programs Associate supports the Director of Programs with all programming & event matters related to Dance/USA’s Annual Conference and the winter Dance Forum. The Programs Associate interacts frequently with the membership and works closely with the staff, Programming & Award Committees of the Board of Trustees, and Annual Conference Host Committee to develop and implement relevant professional development opportunities and events for the professional dance field.
Dance/USA’s Annual Conference is the largest gathering of not-for-profit dance professionals in the United States. Each year, hundreds of executive directors, artistic directors, company managers, choreographers, artists, and development and marketing professionals convene to discuss timely issues, learn best-practices and benefit from peer-to-peer discussions. Dance/USA’s Annual Conference takes place in different regions of the United States each year and includes four days of professional development programming and special events. Dance/USA’s 2015 Annual Conference will take place in Miami, FL June 17 – 20. The 2015 Dance Forum will take place on Friday, January 9 in New York City.
Responsibilities – include but are not limited to:
Qualifications, Skills, and General Knowledge Required
- Participate in weekly staff meetings to keep full staff informed of program activities;
- Serve as liaison to the Conference Host Committee and assist with moving Host Committee activities forward;
- Serve as an on-site manager during professional development convenings;
- Coordinate with Director of Information Services to evaluate program events and services;
- Work with staff to design Conference registration timeline and registration publicity;
- Organize and manage the Dance/USA’s Honors Celebration at the Annual Conference including coordinating logistics with honorees and presenters; obtaining the awards/gifts in advance; Work with staff to coordinate hotel and travel arrangements for all staff and Honors recipients;
- Coordinate with staff on Conference exhibitors and sponsors;
- Research meeting locations for future Annual Conferences;
- Assemble speakers and panelists for Conference sessions, coordinate speaker agreements, A/V needs, and materials for distribution;
- Work with staff and vendors to design and print all necessary signs for events;
- Work with staff and Conference Host Committee to invite special guests and dignitaries to Conference events;
- Coordinate publicity for Annual Conference and other professional development services with Conference Host Committee and Dance/USA’s Communications Specialist;
- Develop and upload content for the Annual Conference website, the Conference mobile app, and primary Dance/USA website.
Salary and Compensation
- Requires exemplary attention to detail, diplomacy, tremendous interpersonal skills, ability to manage multiple tasks, strong written and communication skills, and ability to establish priorities.
- Strong technology skills including the ability to update the Conference website and update the Conference mobile app are required;
- Ability to collaborate with many constituencies and manage group discussions well;
- Bachelor Degree preferred.
The position is part-time with an average of 20 hours per week. Additional hours may be required in the weeks leading up to the conference. Part-time employees are not eligible for health or retirement benefits from Dance/USA.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and references to Dance/USA's Director of Finance & Operations Casey McEnelly.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants must be available to begin work immediately.
For information regarding Dance/USA's internship program, please visit Internships at Dance/USA.