The Dance Company membership category is open to dance companies of all sizes and genres that meet the following criteria:
- Maintain an on-going performance activity;
- Maintain a paid artistic or administrative staff of at least one, and regularly compensate performers;
- Have been in continuous operation for at least one year.
*If you do not meet any of the above criteria, you may still be eligible for membership. Please contact the Director of Member Services via email or at 202.833.1717 for more information. Dance companies located outside of the United States are encouraged to join as International Affiliate members.
The administrative and artistic leaders of dance company members are invited to actively participate in one of the several Dance/USA Standing Councils with representation and voting rights on the Board of Trustees. Chief administrators are assigned to a Managers Council as well as Artistic Directors depending on their organization’s budget size.
To become a member of Dance/USA, simply fill out our online form. You will be added to our database, upon completion of payment, begin receiving member benefits once your new membership has been processed internally. The Dance/USA membership year runs from July 1 to June 30. Dues for new members joining in the middle of the year will be pro-rated on a quarterly basis*. Dance Company members may choose to establish a payment plan for their membership dues. All memberships are renewable annually on July 1 and dues are invoiced during the month of May. Please contact the Director of Member Services with any questions regarding membership, Dance/USA's core services, benefits, the application process, or dues payments.
Dues are calculated based on the operating revenue from a company’s most recently completed fiscal year, which can be found on line 12 of your most recent Form 990 or line 9 of your most recent Form 990-EZ, and are as follows:
- Up to $100,000: $150 / year
- $100,001 – $200,000: $225 / year
- $200,001 – $400,000: $400 / year
- $400,001 – $600,000: $750 / year
- $600,001 – $999,999: Operating Revenue × 0.00173 / year
- $1,000,000 – $2,999,999: Operating Revenue × 0.00185 / year
- $3,000,000 – $7,999,999: $3,750 base dues + (Operating Revenue × 0.00045) / year
- $8,000,000 – $14,999,999: $8,700 / year
- $15,000,000 and up: $10,000 / year
*For new members joining in the middle of the year, dues are prorated on a quarterly basis. Any payment(s) made on membership dues are non-refundable.
Benefits marked with an * are extended to all permanent employees of the organization. Employees should contact the Director of Member Services to inquire about any of these benefits.
Leadership & Learning
- Join quarterly Council and Affinity Group Calls to connect with your colleagues and discuss current trends in the field.*
- Participate in in-person Council and Affinity Group Meetings.*
- Register for Dance/USA’s Annual Conference at the discounted member rate.*
- Access the member exclusive Google Groups for each of our Affinity Groups, for dance company managers/executive directors, and for dance company artistic directors. *
- Participate in Dance/USA webinars and expand your learning on a specialize topic.*
- Attend the Dance Forum, annually held in New York City, just prior to the Association of Performing Arts Professionals Conference.*
- Receive discounted registration rates to attend other national conferences.*
Research & Information
- Access data and statistical information.*
- Annually review our Snapshot of the Field and add your costumes and sets to our online Repository.*
- Keep up-to-date on news from the field by reading The SPIN and Dance/USA Bulletin; organizational members are invited to submit news items to be included in The SPIN as well as job and audition announcements to be included in the Dance/USA Bulletin free of charge.*
- Get in-depth review of key topics in the field - and add your voice – with our online e-journal From the Green Room.*
- Request one (1) non-customized complimentary copy of Dance/USA’s mailing list per member year.
Advocacy & Visibility
- Be visible on Dance/USA’s website with a link to your organization’s website.
- Be represented in front of Congress, the White House, and other federal agencies.
- As a member of Dance/USA, you are also a member of the Performing Arts Alliance; respond to timely action alerts when an important issue needs your attention.*
- Receive monthly updates on arts funding and policy issues.*
- Advocate for dance by joining our Dance Advocacy Network. Contact Dance/USA’s Government Affairs Director to join.*
- Arm yourself with various tools to advocate for dance.
- Receive talking points and assistance with scheduling visits to speak with federally elected officials.*
- Stay informed about federal legislation that directly affects you and your work (i.e., federal funding, tax resolutions, visa policies, etc).*
Archiving & Preservation
Benefits marked with an * are extended to all permanent employees and dancers (when applicable) of the organization. Employees should contact Director of Member Services to inquire about any of these benefits.
- Discounts on Archiving Services.